Thursday, July 5, 2007

July 5, 2007 - 23:17

After the last post, I found a great place for a €5 sandwich with a salad. It was delicious! Then, the night went as follows:
>Met up with good ol' Spencer Price! He's a friend from high school who I went on a Mexico service trip with and also made two pro-quality videos for that trip and a school play. He's my Fezzik if I'm Inigo. He's 6'5'', about 300lbs and if you've ever seen the show 'RECESS,' he's Mikey. (If you haven't, go to www.youtube.com now and find an episode so you know what I'm talking about.) We went out with some of my friends and a girl who he apparently met about 2 hours ago named Vicki.
>We went to our first pub together and toasted a pint. Our first pint together! The first alcohol he's ever seen me drink.
>We moved on to another pub. There, we drank a 'Baby Guinness' (bailey's, peppermint schnopps and jameson shot), another pint of Guinness and then a very, very, very strong Vodka/Redbull. We had very tall glasses and shared the Redbull between them.
>We felt great!
>We went to Eddie Rocket's (Think Johnny Rocket's but way less cool, more expensive and in a dialect you can't understand when you're drunk) and ate.
>Back to campus where our friends left us while I walked Spencer back to his dorm. We met up with two of my other friends (drunk... very) and we all had a great time with the walking thing. We found free internet via Spencer and his passwords on Trinity Campus (we later acquired our own, but for then it was nice to know) and off to bed after much water and staring at walls.

JULY 3, 2007
>€200 million worth of Cocaine fell into the Irish Sea today. We want to find it.
>We went to the train station to go to the coast where the Joyce Museum is on Martello Tower. Amazing!
>McDizzle (our name for Dr. Sean McDowell) bought us all a pint at a Joycean pub (thank you tuition money!... and Mom and Dad.)
>Some of us decided something.
>We carried it out.
>We swam in the Irish Sea.
>We had no swim gear, so we stripped down to boxers (okay, so mine came off once I was in the water... When else can you say you skinny dipped in the Irish Sea for a school function?!) and swam in the '40 foot,' a place where gentlemen ritually swim, some daily, some weekly, montly or annually. Great time for all!
>Whiskey.
>Went back to campus, showered and hung out with Emily and Joellen until late then slept.

JULY 4, 2007
>We had to write what we think the first two sentences of our eventual story will be. SON OF A...!
>Went to the Dublin Writer's Museum. Amazing exhibits and a lot to learn. Some great portraits and sculptures of Beckett (if you do not immediately recognize the name, go immediately to your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and buy 'Waiting for Godot' then read it over the next two hours of your life. It's worth it. I prommise.) and other writers.
>Next to the Joyce Center. Cool, but a little long and we were already very tired.
>Now shopping for tonight's potluck for one of our number's birthday and America Day! GO FREEDOM!
>Emily, Joellen, Kristen and I prepped the potatoes we would later boil and mash and ate some bread and cheese for lunch. (by the way, in Ireland, you eat meat, bread, potatoes, and Guinness. That's all.)
>We saw Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible' at The Abby Theatre (Ireland's theatre. Very historical, been around since 1904 and survived the seige of the British. It burned down later, but they rebuilt it and it still resembles the old model. Great opportunity for me, a theater student.) and I can honestly say that this is within the top 5 plays I've ever seen. Now, let me remind you all that I review plays nigh professionally. I see them about one a week. Easily this one is in my top 5 ever. It was incredible. I can't describe to you how good it was via writing, but let's just say that when the stage itself rests under a gallows for the whole show, you know some bad shit gonna go down.
>Potluck time.
>no...
>Babysitting time. Emily, Joellen and I (so we're traveling companions. They're the ones I'm staying with after this official trip is done) ended up being the cooks, cleaners, babysitters, chaperones and doctors for the night. Some of our number (unnamed for their dignity's sake... or what's left of it) did not quite make it through the night unscathed. The birthday girl was alright the next morning; as was the girl I carried (CARRIED) up to her room on the third floor (apparently the evening included more... um... activity for her and her personal porcelain diety after I left, so the morning was alright). We got the place cleaned up by around 2 when Joellen went to bed. Emily and I talked until 4 and then also slept.

JULY 5, 2007
>Up at 8:15 today! yay...
>We went to the National Library with a Yeats exhibit (W.B. Yeats. Great poet and author/wizard). The girls and I got left behind when we watched the 'Yeats and the Magic he did' video three times in a row. Woops! The program ended up being done for the day, but that was fun anyway.
>We checked out the rest of the library. AMAZING! I've never seen stucco cherubim on the walls of a library and been okay with it before.
>Went to Marion Park and visited Oscar Wilde's statue. He's just so fancy!
>Ate some oranges and chocolate, went to Trinity, showered, ate dinner and met up with Spencer again. We had a drink with him, did our homework and headed back here.
>Now, off to finish said homework and get more than 6 hours of sleep at least one night this trip...

Ta!

2 comments:

Bailey Cunningham said...

Wow AJ... sounds like one hell of a time you got there... and again your blog makes me crack up... craziness...

And I assume you're still alive then? "Billy Shakes" teacher hasn't killed you yet? Watch your back... he's waiting for the opportune moment!

Kenna M. Kettrick said...

Man, your blog is hi-larious. I've been reading parts aloud to Erin, especially the alcoholic & naked bits, ahahaha!