Friday, June 29, 2007

June 29, 2007 - 20:30:41

As I begin writing this blog entry, I am sitting in a dirty little internet cafe. The man to my right is gambling in an online cassino. The men to my left just stood to leave; they seemed to be looking at something I felt somewhat uneasy seeing when glancing.

At any rate, DUBLIN! w00t! I've been here 2 days and have walked almost every direction in the city limits of Dublin. I've been to the Guinness Storehouse (the tour where you get a free pint at the top!); I've been to the largest park in Europe (Phoenix Park. There's a zoo. I didn't go in.); I've been to the Gate Theatre (saw Sweeny Todd and broke the curse upon my soul that has weighed me down for over 6 years); I went to revolution memorials and shopping areas and tourist traps and traditional 'Dub' hangouts and even an art museum (free of course! I don't have that much money in my bank account and the dollar is weak... Stupid €...)

Basic catchup on my experiences:
?Flights were late up until the ultimate arrival which was 10 minutes early (impressive for being over an hour late most of the way there). On the planes I read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,' listened to Wagner's 'Das Rheingold' and watched 'Grease' (on the in-flight movie programming, this last one).
>Took the bus to Dublin. An elderly woman helped me find my way.
>Got off the bus and got lost. More elderly women seemed eager to help...
>Checked into my hostel, got unpacked-ish and headed out!
>First: food. Fish and Chips on O'Connell and Abbey. Good food!
>Went to a free art gallery. An old guard showed me a tourist map of Dublin. He told me many places to check out. I wrote the names down and prepared to go to get a map.
>B.T.W. this feels like a video game, so I'm keeping my journal like I'm playing Elder Scroll's III: Morrowind.
>Tried to get a map, store closed. Got enchiladas. They were good.
>Went to the Gate Theatre and got a student ticket to Sweeny Todd! AMAZING!
>Slept well.
>Woke to a talkative Spaniard in the room. We ate food and tried to communicate. Mostly failed because he's like trying to talk to Mr. Brusel.
>I went out to get a map. Acquired Map! Went to Trinity College and got the lay of the land. Went to a little coffee shoppe and mapped out my day a bit. Good Cappuccino.
>B.T.W. average tourists in Temple Bar are scary.
>I found 2 cents on the ground.
>I went down Grafton St. - Amazing street music. Then went to St. Steven's green - gorgeous park (the entryway arch has names of 'traitors,' or men who fought for the British, inlaid in the underside as you walk through).
>Going back up Grafton, I found a 'silver statue man' dressed in Arthurian clothing. I felt good about myself.
>A ate at a palce called 'Abrakababra.' Seriously.
>Wandered Phoenix Park. Okay, got over that fast.
>Went to the Guinness Storehouse and did the tour and drank an pint. P-Magnum, that one's for you!
>I tried to find Dublin Castle and failed. I found a churc that looks like a castle though. I even took some video and jumped off a wall after doing so (Mike, that one's for you).
>Almost bought a guitar... I don't know if that'd be stupid...
>I got a pre-made sandwich from a nature-food and save-Darfur kind of place. They were closing for the night so gave it to me for free! w00t! I told them I'd come back and gave them a 2€ tip.
>Went back to the hostel and tried to sit down in my room. My key didn't work. About that time I was told at the front desk that they had me down for only two nights... not four... BUGGER! They got it fixed. HUZZAH! I sat, I organized something (OKAY I'M COMPULSIVE!) and came here. I'm thirsty, though. OFF TO QUENCH MY THIRST!

End Captain's Log Entry_

3 comments:

Nigel's Dad said...

Excellent first post! Very enjoyable, however, it has made me thirsty for a Guinness but alas I have none.
Your blog is printed for your mum. I will forward link to friends and family.
I should be working right now but was too excited to wait until later to read your post.
3

Clark Owyang said...

Payrez!!! I had no idea you'd be in Ireland. Read the post...sounds good. Drink another pint for me and come back to me safely. not too soon though...laters, Clark

grambo said...

From Capital Hill to Ireland? Apparently you haven't been to the other Districts in Seattle as yet. What a stretch! Congratulations.

Love , Aunt Pat aka Grambo